Reduce the risk of a fire in the bedroom by following our tips.
Get a home fire safety visit
Book a free home fire safety visit today. It only takes around 20 minutes - and it could save your life.
You'll get safety tips and advice on how to avoid a fire in the bedroom - and what to do if it does. You'll even get free extra smoke alarms if you need them.
Speak to your housing officer or book your free visit by:
In Scotland, most fatal fires are started by smoking. Cigarette ends can smoulder for ages if not put out properly.
Don't smoke in bed - if you do make sure you have a smoke alarm fitted in the room. Test your smoke alarm every week.
- never leave a cigarette unattended
- stub cigarettes out in an ashtray – put a little water at the bottom of the ashtray
- empty and clean your ashtray regularly
- keep matches and lighters out of reach of children
- use safety matches (ones that only strike on the box)
- don’t throw used matches straight in the bin - put them in an ashtray.
Many fires started by cigarettes happen to people who have been drinking and are tired. Follow these tips:
- take extra care if you’ve been drinking alcohol
- don’t smoke in your bed if you’ve been drinking or you’re sleepy
- if you do feel sleepy, smoke outside or at a window.
Close your bedroom door at night – it will help stop the spread of smoke and flames if a fire starts.
Check regularly for signs of wear and tear. Test and service your blanket every three years. It might be cheaper and safer to buy a new one.
Keep heaters on a level surface and at least one metre away from combustible material. Never leave unattended while you are asleep.
Don't plug a portable heater into an extension lead - they can become overloaded and cause fires. Switch portable heaters off overnight.
You should not use calor gas heaters.
Don't overload an extension lead. Put charging phones, laptops and other electronic devices on a hard surface - not on your bed or carpet. Avoid leaving them to charge overnight.
- always switch appliances off at the wall before going to bed or going out
- always plug straight into a wall socket and avoid adaptors for lots of plugs as they can result in electricity overloads.
Hair straighteners can reach temperatures between 210-230°C – nearly six times the temperature of a household hot water supply.
Straighteners and curling tongs can cause serious injury for anyone who touches them when they are hot - and leave life-long scars, particularly for children.
Remember to put them away safely after using them - or buy a heat resistant bag.