Keep safe this Christmas
Make sure you and your family keep safe at home this Christmas.
Follow these tips so you can enjoy the festive season with peace of mind:
- get a free home safety visit – call 0800 0731 999
- make sure you have a smoke alarm and it works. If you don’t, give us a call or speak to your housing officer
- don’t leave rubbish or bulk items lying about communal areas – it’s dangerous
- always put cigarettes out properly in an ashtray
- switch off electrical appliances at the wall when you leave your home or go to bed.
Over Christmas, there are extra risks in your home. Follow this advice to help you keep safe:
- don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol
- put candles and tea lights out when you leave the room
- use a multi-socket adaptor with a fuse and surge protection if you need more than one plug.
At the moment, we are installing or servicing smoke and heat detectors in tenants’ homes.
We will write to you with an appointment. It’s really important that we carry out this work so when you are contacted about this please make sure you’re at home at the time of the appointment. If the appointment doesn’t suit, just phone the number on the letter and we’ll rearrange.
We also want to help tenants stay safe at home by helping to prevent scalding injuries.
Many of our homes have a thermostatic mixer valve (TMV) connected to the bath. TMVs blend hot and cold water to make sure the water from the hot tap is always at a safe temperature.
If you or someone in your home is over 75, or you have children under five, we will either be installing a TMV or servicing the existing TMV.
If you’re in either of these groups, we’ll either carry out the work at the same time as your gas service or write to you with an appointment.
It’s really important we carry out this work, so please make sure you’re at home at the time of the appointment. If the appointment doesn’t suit, just phone the number on the letter and we’ll rearrange.
Visit our Stay Safe section for more advice on staying safe at home.
Thursday, December 10, 2020